2013-08-25

Top 5 Things That I Wish I Could Find in Suzhou


5.  An Online Distributor of Books

I didn't realize how on-the-ground everything in China was.  The majority of shopping I ever did was online.  Many books (mostly academic ones) that I am interested in or that I need to teach a class aren't available in China and are ridiculously expensive to ship from the states.  It makes you plan very far in  advance which I suppose is a good thing.  But, when you really need something you are either out of luck or have to be willing to pay. 





4.  Bourbon (specifically Makers Mark or Bulleit)

I knew there would be Scotch.  I knew I could find Jameson every once in a while.  Bourbon was my biggest question since for the last 2 years, it is all I've been drinking.  I've only been able to find Four Roses Bourbon in Suzhou.  I've found Maker's Mark from an online distributor in Shanghai but who knows if it is legit or not.  I think I am going to try out Four Roses to see if it is any good before I spend the money on Makers. Over here it goes for about $32/bottle.  I just haven't developed a taste for Scotch yet and there is something very comforting about sitting down with a glass of bourbon.  




3.  Gillette Gel Deodorant

So stick or gel deodorant just isn't a thing over here.  It is all spray. I've been using the same deodorant for probably 15 years or more. Luckily, we anticipated this and we bought a stupid amount of deodorant that will be arriving in our shipment.  But, who knows if all that will last me until the next time we are in the states or until the first person comes to visit us.  




2.  An Online Distributor of Electronics (like Sweetwater.com)

Sweetwater.com is where I've bought nearly every piece of electronic equipment I own.  Instead of a large general distributor here, there are many smaller distributors that only sell certain brands.  So instead of making a large purchase from Sweetwater I have to make many smaller purchases of all of the different brands from different distributors.  Major inconvenience and also much more expensive.


1.  Pilot G2 0.7 Black Ink Gel Pens

This seems like a stupid little thing. But, I wrote with those pens everyday of my doctorate.  They feel good.  The ink thickness is perfect.  I only have 1 left not really thinking about it before I left.  

Moral of the story:  Every time we come back to the US we are taking a checked bag that we can fill with stuff to bring back.  

No comments:

Post a Comment